Assistant Director who provided Alec Baldwin pistol had previous security issues - National | MCU Times

Assistant Director who provided Alec Baldwin pistol had previous security issues – National

A crew member says she has previously raised security concerns about the assistant director, who authorities say unknowingly handed over the actor Alec Baldwin the plug gun that killed a cinematographer on a film set.

Maggie Goll, a plugging machine and a licensed pyrotechnician, said in a statement that she filed an internal complaint with the executive producers of the Hulus series “Into the Dark” in 2019 over concerns about assistant director Dave Halls’ behavior on the set. Goll said in a phone interview Sunday that Halls ignored safety protocols for weapons and pyrotechnics and tried to continue filming after the supervising pyrotechnician lost consciousness on the set.

Halls has not returned phone calls and emails seeking comments.

Read more:

The camera crew staged walkout hours before Alec Baldwin props shooting

This week’s fatal shooting and some of her past experiences point to major security issues to be addressed, Goll said, adding that crew safety and well-being are top issues in ongoing contract negotiations between a union representing film and television workers and a major producer group .

The story continues below the ad

“This situation is not about Dave Halls. … It is by no means a person’s fault, ”she said. “It’s a bigger conversation about safety on the set and what we’re trying to achieve with that culture.”

Baldwin fired a prop gun on the New Mexico set of the movie “Rust” on Thursday, killing 42-year-old Halyna Hutchins and wounded director Joel Souza who was behind her.

The gun that Baldwin used was one of three that a firearms specialist, or “armor soldier,” had put on a wagon outside the building where a scene was rehearsed, according to court records. Halls took a gun from a cart and handed it to Baldwin, indicating that the weapon was safe by shouting “cold gun,” court papers say. But it was filled with live rounds, according to the records.


Click to play video: 'Global National: October 22'







Global National: October 22nd


Global National: October 22nd

Baldwin, 63, known for his roles in “30 Rock” and “The Hunt for Red October” and his impression of former President Donald Trump on “Saturday Night Live,” has described the killing as a “tragic accident.”

The story continues below the ad

Goll said it should not have happened because there are “so many steps you have to go through … that the possibility of it getting there at all should be impossible.”

Actor Ray Liotta agreed that the control of firearms is usually extensive.

“They always – as far as I know – they check it out so you can see,” Liotta said in an interview Sunday at the Newport Beach Film Festival. “They give it to the person you point the gun at, they make it to the manufacturer, they show who’s there, that it does not work.”

Read more:

Alec Baldwin pistol incident reflects trends in film sets: industry experts

Rust Movie Productions has not responded to repeated emails seeking comment.

Baldwin, who is the producer on “Rust,” met Saturday with Hutchins’ husband and 9-year-old son at a hotel in Santa Fe where the actor had stayed during filming. Baldwin and Hutchins’ husband can be seen embracing in a photo published by the New York Post. Another shows a defeated Baldwin walking on the grounds of the hotel and pushing a luggage cart.

Goll said in her email that Hall’s behavior on the set has worried her in the past.

She said the halls during the work on “Into the Dark” did not hold security meetings and consistently failed to notify the crew of the presence of a firearm, as is protocol. The assistant prop master reprimanded Halls several times for firing the actors before returning weapons to the prop table, she said.

The story continues below the ad


Click to play video: 'Alec Baldwin launches plug gun on film set and kills film photographer Halyna Hutchins'







Alec Baldwin launches an advertising pistol on film sets and kills film photographer Halyna Hutchins


Alec Baldwin launches an advertising pistol on film sets and kills film photographer Halyna Hutchins

However, she was most concerned when the supervising pyrotechnician, who is diabetic, was found unconscious in a chair, she said. Halls wanted to resume filming after the man was removed from the set, though Goll, the remaining pyrotechnician on site, did not have the qualifications to oversee the complicated series of pyrotechnic effects planned.

“One of the things that struck me most about that day is the fact that he shouted on the radio over Channel 1, ‘Hey, Maggie says we can keep going!’ and I pretty much kept the button down so he could not send to others on that channel while I shouted, ‘No, Dave, that was not what I said. We do not do that, ”she recalled in a telephone interview.

She filed an internal complaint with the executive producers of Blumhouse Productions around that day, she said.

The story continues below the ad

“To my knowledge, nothing was done after my complaints,” she said in an email.

Read more:

Alec Baldwin told that the gun was safe to use before shooting to death on film sets: court records

“I am tired of not pushing harder for greater accountability and security,” she wrote. “Many of us have sent messages to each other and wondered the same thing: Is there anything we could have done then that would have prevented the tragedy?”

Flaccus reported from Portland, Oregon. Associated Press authors Jake Coyle and Jocelyn Noveck in New York; Ryan Pearson in Los Angeles; Walter Berry and Phoenix; and Michelle Eaton of Newport Beach, California, contributed to this report.

© 2021 The Canadian Press

.

Follow us on Google News

Disclaimers for mcutimes.com

All the information on this website - https://mcutimes.com - is published in good faith and for general information purpose only. mcutimes.com does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability, and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (mcutimes.com), is strictly at your own risk. mcutimes.com will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.

Leave a Comment