Bail for two Naperville suspects killed in gun battle | MCUTimes

Bail for two Naperville suspects killed in gun battle

Bail was set at $ 4 million Friday for a 20-year-old Bellwood man accused of shooting an Aurora teenager Sunday in Naperville in a fight during an arms sale.

Robert Chatman-Jones, from the 300-block 24th Street, appeared before DuPage County Judge Ann Celine O’Hallaren Walsh.

Walsh also pledged $ 1.5 million for a co-defendant, Desire J. Gray, 19, from the 1900 Ashwood Lane block of Aurora.

Both are charged with first-degree murder, aggravated battery and attempted armed robbery.

Coreon D. Davis, 18, of Aurora died after being shot in the back of the head behind the right ear, according to a description of the incident, which Assistant Attorney General Kristin Sullivan read in court. The bullet left his forehead. He died Wednesday at Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood.

The shooting happened around 2:09 p.m. Sunday on the 600 block of Amersale Drive in Naperville.

According to Sullivan, Chatman-Jones arranged a meeting with Davis to buy a black semi-automatic pistol for $ 500. Davis asked for a ride from a friend, a minor, who was only identified in court at his initials.

Chatman-Jones approached the minor’s car and gave Davis an unknown amount. Davis told Chatman-Jones that was not enough.

The minor who was driving the car began to slowly pull away and let the car roll. A fight broke out and Davis was shot twice, including once in the left hand. The minor received a gunshot wound to the lower leg. He was treated and released on Sunday.

The incident, which was captured on video from a remote camera, took nine seconds, Sullivan said.

Aurora police found the victims a short distance from the place where the minor had been driving, and then called police.

A dashboard camera in a passing car captured the license plate of Grey’s car on video and helped police track her and Chatman-Jones.

According to Sullivan, mobile data showed that Chatman-Jones and Gray drove the Grays Nissan Sentra to Bellwood, Broadview and then the West Side of Chicago. In two of those stops, witnesses told police that Chatman-Jones admitted to having shot Davis, Sullivan said.

A gun recovered from Grey’s car was identified as the murder weapon, Sullivan said. She described the gun in court as a “ghost gun, meaning he bought parts and put it together.”

Sullivan read in court a text conversation between Chatman-Jones and Gray from the early hours of Sunday morning, where they talked about their plans for the meeting with Davis.

Chatman-Jones, a graduate of Proviso West High School in 2019, risks 45 years in prison if convicted, Sullivan said.

Friday morning, Gray appeared to faint during her appearance in court. She was caught by the DuPage County sheriff’s deputies, who then requested that the courtroom be emptied. She was removed from the courtroom 15 minutes later.

Gray returned to court about two hours later to conclude her trial.

Last October, Chatman-Jones pleaded guilty and was sentenced to two years probation for aggravated unlawful use of a weapon by a person under the age of 21 in a case in Oak Brook in 2019.

Gray and Chatman-Jones will be prosecuted on September 28.


Disclaimers for

All the information on this website - - is published in good faith and for general information purpose only. does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability, and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (, is strictly at your own risk. will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.

Leave a Comment