Battlefield's Design Manager is leaving DICE after its 2042 release | MCU Times

Battlefield’s Design Manager is leaving DICE after its 2042 release

Additional reporting by Andy Robinson.

Fawzi Mesmar, DICE’s design manager who took care of the Battlefield and Star Wars: Battlefront franchises, has left the company after the release of Battlefield 2042, VGC can reveal.

His departure was announced in an email sent to staff this week, seen by VGC, in which he revealed that he had planned to leave for some time when the studio’s latest shooting game had been aired.

The former King study director had served as DICE’s design director since 2019. His role led him to lead the design team of over 80 creative directors, game designers and more on projects such as Battlefield 2042, Star Wars Battlefront II and Battlefield V.

“It was an absolute pleasure to serve on the best design teams in the galaxy,” he wrote in his email to staff. “The incredible design work you do continues to inspire me every day. Thank you for believing in me, I hope I did not disappoint.”

The email continues: “I have received an offer I could not refuse from another company that has been kind enough to wait for me until we have sent [Battlefield 2042]. It was super important for me to be here with the team as we achieve this historic milestone.

“Mens Oskar [Gabrielson, studio GM] and I have been discussing my succession plans for some time – and it will be announced at a later date – we chose to postpone this communication until after the launch to keep the focus – rightly – on the game we have put a monumental amount of effort on. “

Mesmar’s last day at DICE will be November 26th. According to his email, his next position will also be based in Stockholm.

An Electronic Arts representative told VGC: “Fawzi Mesmar is leaving DICE at the end of the week. We wish him all the best in his future endeavors.”

The design chief’s claims of a long-planned succession to his role suggest his departure will not affect DICE’s plans to improve Battlefield 2042 via post-launch updates.

Battlefield 2042 was released last week to critical acclaim. The game currently has the worst user score of the year on Steam, thanks to over 26,000 “mostly negative” reviews.

According to reviews, the player base has become frustrated with issues such as the lack of a leaderboard, blank cards and problems with in-game vehicles.

Battlefield's Design Manager is leaving DICE after its 2042 release

On Tuesday, DICE provided details of its plans for future improvements to the game, as well as details of 2042’s second major patch scheduled for release this week.

“We could not be more passionate about this game and will support and develop it in the years to come,” the studio said.

“We’ve confirmed at least two major game updates in the coming weeks, and we’ll be here to communicate consistently about the changes we’re making, as well as new content coming to Battlefield 2042.

“Teams across the globe are working 24/7 to evolve and deliver improvements to the game.”