Faculty Rank: No
Position Number: 062931
Department: Athletics Office – 120000
Description of University
State University, in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global citizens who understand and
engage their responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of
inclusion that brings people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge, to grow holistically, to act with passion and
determination, and embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls
about 20,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Seven or more years of development experience, with at least two years
of major gift experience.
- Sound knowledge of laws, practices and philosophy of charitable giving
- Demonstrated track record
of financial development and/or sales productivity in a complex work environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
with an entrepreneurial mindset
- Demonstrated ability to work within a campus culture that includes a diverse array of
personalities, and cohesively manage conflicting expectations
- Available to manage 50% travel, including evenings, weekends, and
holidays, when needed
- Master’s degree preferred
- Experience in
athletics and/or higher education preferred
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee and direct the external units within the Department of Athletics, including Athletics
Development, Ticket Operations, and Marketing & Fan Engagement.
- Represent the Director of Athletics at various on-campus and
off-campus meetings and events.
- Organizational line administrator for Associate Athletics Director for Development positions
- Establish annual operating budgets for external units and develop performance goals and objectives.
- Plan and implement annual
fund raising initiatives.
- Plan and implement fundraising campaigns.
- Liaison between the University Athletics Department
and the App State Foundation, Inc. to promote the general welfare, growth and development of the Athletics Program.
- Commitment to
and compliance with the University’s and Department of Athletics policies and procedures as well as the Sun Belt Conference and NCAA constitutions, bylaws, legislation and regulations.
- Serve as a member of the Athletics Department
- Represent the Director of Athletics at various on-campus and off-campus meetings and events.
- Other duties
as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
Type of Position: Full Time Position
Appointment Type: 1.0
Number of Hours Per Week: 40+
Number of Months Per
Mandatory Staff: No
Suggested Salary Range: Commensurate with
Physical Demands of Position
Typical office environment.
Open Until Filled: Yes
Evaluation of Applications Begins
Proposed Date of Hire: 11/08/2021
Special Instructions to
Please attach required documents:
- Cover Letter
- List a minimum of 3
professional references in the application or attach a List of References with Contact Information
Search Chair Email
Individuals with disabilities may request accommodations in the application process by contacting Maranda
Maxey, Director & ADA/504 Coordinator, at 828-262-3056 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative
Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with
respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity
and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
Director of Human Resources/ EEO Officer
Director of Title IX Compliance/Title IX Coordinator
Diversity and Inclusion at Appalachian
We at Appalachian State University are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence both locally and globally.
understand that the successful implementation of diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence is the responsibility of the entire university
community, including alumni and official university governing bodies. A diverse campus community supports an influx of broad and distinct
ideas that increase learning opportunities and strengthen the impact of our community as we work collectively to achieve a just experience
We actively encourage, support, and promote a global mindset and an equitable environment where all will know that they
belong and are safe to express their culture, identity, values, ideas, opinions, and creativity. We are committed to creating a culture of
equity opportunity for all, one that has an expectation of fairness, justice, and equity-minded practice at all levels of the university
Background Check Statement
Any offer of employment to a successful candidate will be conditioned upon the
University’s receipt of a satisfactory criminal background report.
Eligibility for Employment
of identity and eligibility for employment will be required before the hiring process can be completed.