M1 traffic chaos: Massive queues occur after truck catches fire on motorway – updates | United Kingdom | News

The announcement of the news around 3.15pm said the Leicestershire Fire Constabulary said the incident had taken place between Junction 21 and 22, on the western outskirts of Leicester. They advised to “avoid [the] Leicestershire police confirmed to Expressen that “no one was injured” in the incident.

The National Highways East Midlands said in a recent update that the vehicle “was now off” but “the carriageway will remain closed for repair and inspection of a damaged gantry edge.”

A civil engineer is on site to perform this inspection, it said.

At 5.40pm there are “severe delays of at least 120 minutes” as “all traffic” was kept northbound.

“The traffic queue extends over 7 miles in total.

“The southbound lane also has a lane 4 closure in place,” it added.

There are also long delays of at least 45 minutes on the M69 northbound approaching the M1 and on the M1 southbound between Juntion 21a and Junction 21 due to a closed lane.

Highways England expects the incident on the northbound lane to clear between 20.45 and 21.00 tonight.

Meanwhile, the closure on the southbound lane is expected to clear between 7.45pm and 8pm, with normal traffic conditions returning at 9pm.

Leceistershire Police tweeted at 17.02 that “officers are in the process of introducing a procedure to get stationary traffic moving.

“Be patient, we’re trying to ease this as soon as possible.”

National Highways East Midlands announced that traffic would only be released past the site once “the vehicle has been turned off and the damage caused by the air portal has been inspected.”

The National Highways East Midlands has told drivers wishing to travel through the affected area to turn off the M1 at Junction 21 eastbound, follow the A-roads north and then northwest to join the motorway at Junction 22.

Junction 21 is the intersection of the M1 and M69, while Junction 22 is where the M1 intersects with the A50.

Junction 21A is where the M1 leads into the Leicester Western Bypass. Between the two, the Welcome Break Leceister Forest East service station is off.

On Wednesday, part of the M1 was closed for more than eight hours after a truck caught fire.

The flame that happened around noon. 6.15, took place on the southbound lane between Junction 17 for the M45 and Junction 16 for West Northampton and Weedon Bec.

Three of four lanes were still closed until 2pm, with traffic queuing back six miles to junction 18 for Crick and Rugby, Warwickshire.

And yesterday, an HGV truck on the M8 in Scotland caught fire on the southern outskirts of Glasgow.

More to follow …

Give a Comment