McNeese State University invites qualified applicants for the position of Academic Advisor/Instructor of Orientation in the Office of
Freshman Advising. This is a full-time, 12–month, unclassified position. The appointment is available November 17, 2021.
Position Number: U99142
Position Description and Responsibilities:
The Academic Advisor/Instructor of
Orientation is responsible for functions related to advising, transcript evaluation, orientation, and graduation. The Academic
Advisor/Instructor of Orientation will work closely with students, faculty, Athletics, Honors College, Registrar’s Office, Admissions
and Recruiting, Financial Aid, Scholarships, Testing Services, and International Programs.
Additionally, the advisor:
- Maintains an advising load of approximately 400-600 students based on selection of major and academic requirements.
responsible for preparing student advising forms based on admissions application, test scores and transcripts.
- Informs students of
their responsibilities in light of institutional policies.
- Monitors student registration activities and recommends solutions to
- Maintains accurate records of student interactions.
- Provides assistance and support to new student
and parent enrollment and orientation activities.
- Assists in the interviewing, selection, and training of peer leaders.
- Participates in the development, implementation, review, presentation and revision of new student enrollment activities for first-time
freshmen, transfer students, and parents.
- Oversees the on-line orientation module and updates information/videos on the
- Participates in the planning, implementation and the evaluation of the academic advisement program’s goals and
- Participates in institutional student development and retention programs.
- Refers students to other student
support services when appropriate.
- Serves as a liaison with other departments and a resource for students.
effectively and successfully with diverse populations.
- Interprets test scores, unofficial transcripts and course prerequisites for
- Honors and stays abreast of changing institutional, ULS and state requirements and deadlines.
- Participates in
all orientation events and any weekend or after-hours events that support recruitment, advisement, or retention of undergraduate
- Engages in professional development activities as directed by supervisor.
- Completes other duties as assigned by
the Director of Freshman Advising and Retention or Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management.
Required: Master’s degree. Excellent communication skills via telephone, email, and all other written
exchanges and in person; excellent computer skills; excellent organizational skills; ability to work independently; problem solving skills;
ability to work and interact with diverse individuals and groups at all levels; ability to thoroughly understand and abide by federal and
university guidelines and student confidentiality requirements.
Preferred: Significant work experience in higher education or
other educational setting; experience working with Ellucian Banner.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Application Materials and Contact:
Applicants should submit:1) letter of application detailing experience
relevant to the position; 2) resume; 3) list of three professional references (include name, phone number and e-mail address for each); and
4) official or unofficial copies of all transcripts. Only completed application packets will be reviewed. Electronic submissions are
preferred. Please submit the required documents to:
Rachel Miseles, Search Committee Chair
McNeese State University
Lake Charles, LA 70609
Voice: (337) 562-4249
TDD: (337) 562-4227
McNeese State University is an AA/EEO/ADA employer committed to excellence through diversity.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires McNeese State University to inform applicants that the University can employ only U.S. citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the U.S. Each new employee is required to present documentation verifying his/her identity and right to accept employment.
Louisiana Revised Statute 42:31-“Eligibility requirements for certain unclassified employees”-requires any person hired or employed in an unclassified position, whose annual salary or rate of compensation is equal to or exceeds one hundred thousand dollars, provide proof to his public employer that he has been issued a Louisiana driver’s license and that all vehicles registered in his name are registered in Louisiana within thirty days of being hired or employed at such salary.
McNeese State University is a member of the University of Louisiana System. Under Louisiana law, applications and all supporting materials will become public record. An executive session pursuant to La. Rev. Stat. 42:6.1(A) may be required. Persons needing reasonable accommodations as provided by the Americans with Disabilities Act should contact the Office of Human Resources: Voice: (337) 475-5102; TDD/TTY, Hearing Impaired: (337) 562-4227; Fax: (337) 475-5104; or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instructional Faculty Candidates with foreign degrees must provide official certification of equivalency to U.S. degrees, an official comprehensive course-by-course report and U.S. Equivalency Statement, from World Education Services. The official Credential Evaluation Report and U.S. Equivalency Statement must be submitted directly to the Office of Academic and Student Affairs, Box 93220, Lake Charles, LA 70609; (337) 475-5508. Simple translation of the language on foreign diplomas, transcripts, coursework, or similar will NOT suffice and will cause the application packet to be judged as incomplete.