Assistant Director (IT)
Arizona State University
Engineering Technical Services
Ira A Fulton Schools of Engineering (FSE), Engineering Technical Services (ETS) seeks a motivated, collaborative and solution oriented Assistant Director to lead and oversee FSE IT operations, service delivery, and communication strategy.
Reporting to the IT Director, the ideal candidate will oversee the efficient and impactful implementation of technology initiatives, enterprise IT services, and contribute to an evolving strategy for innovation, managing growth and customization. The optimal candidate will be knowledgeable in strategic planning and emerging technologies, and a proven leader with excellent communication skills.
$79,000 – $110,000 per year; DOE
- Translate leadership vision and goals into actionable plans, and then drives those plans to successful completion.
- Support work on employee development and engagement to increase community and positive culture of FSE IT staff and advance efforts aimed at broadening diversity of recruitments.
- Participate in strategic planning activities related to development, implementation, and operations of technology services, solutions and programs supporting Fulton Schools of Engineering’s academic programs, research centers and administrative areas.
- Participate in formulation of the department’s technology plans, goals, staff resources, budget, programs, IT compliance, policies, and procedures.
- Support efforts to enhance the FSE culture and organizational values through communications, collaboration, partnerships, and relationships across the FSE IT teams. Identify processes and opportunities to improve operational efficiency within FSE IT Teams.
- Deliver quarterly and as-needed operational and service delivery performance reporting to executive leadership and stakeholders.
- Work across a hybrid, agile organization to drive priorities, and meet customer deliverables. Delivers customer, faculty, and student satisfaction by ensuring the goals and objectives of the projects or programs accomplished in accordance with priorities, timelines, funding limitations, scope and other specifications.
- Develop and supports Engineering Technical Services Communication Strategy.
- Evaluate and recommend the right technology infrastructure and platform to meet business needs, identify and implement new processes, technologies, and systems to streamline technology delivery and support day-to-day operations.
- Partner with Engineering IT teams, University Technology Office, Distributed Technology Leads, ASU stakeholders and vendors to define and manage technical project scope, strategy, budget and expectations and coordinate resources.
- Mentor staff, foster team participation, provide team leadership, work as a part of the leadership team, and seek continuous improvement in all aspects of team dynamics. Supervises, plans, schedules, trains, and evaluates the work of team members.
- Stay abreast of emerging technology directions, initiatives, and trends; recommends effective and creative uses of technology to enhance program offerings, student learning experiences, business processes, team systems and culture.
Bachelor’s degree in technology, business management, communications or related field and five years of experience leading technical teams, which include three years of supervisory/management experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience in leadership, innovation, customer service, collaboration, teambuilding, and establishing and maintaining effective relationships with faculty, administrators, service professionals, staff, technologists, students, and external constituents.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles, practices, and methods of strategic planning.
- Demonstrated technical skills across compute, storage, network, software, and information security.
- Experience hiring in a values-led organization, emphasizing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Experience in navigating and extracting information from ASU’s internal Data Analytics Platforms or similar University Systems and utilizing the data for recommendations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of standard system processes, design, development tools, and delivery methods.
- Experience with ITIL framework, operational and service delivery frameworks.
- Experience supervising, coaching and mentoring employees
- Experience in diplomatically communicating across all levels of the organization clearly and respectfully
- Experience leading process improvement initiatives.
- Proven track record of continuous improvement and root cause analysis resulting in improved services.
- Experience in exercising independent judgment and decision-making skills; and conceptualize, plan, and construct new initiatives from start to finish.
- Experience in building strong professional relationships through collaboration and influence without authority
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse.
- Required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work.
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions.
- Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing, and pulling up to 25 pounds.
- Regular activities require the ability to quickly change priorities, which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
- Position may involve shared offices, telecommuting, and working at Polytechnic Campus as needed
This position is in the Engineering Technical Services Department of the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering.
Engineering Technical Services supports all engineering schools, departments, and centers at the Fulton Schools; provides quality research support services for varied research programs and is committed to recruiting, retaining, and developing a diversified workforce.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation’s fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
To apply please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs/ see Req Id# 73769BR