Cool temperatures are expected in the Antelope Valley on Sunday night

Officials are urging Antelope Valley residents to prepare for cold weather this weekend.

Temperatures in the Antelope Valley are expected to drop to the mid-30s Sunday night. according to the National Weather Service.

The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health issued a cold weather warning, which wind cooling temperatures are expected to fall below freezing.

“Children, the elderly and people with disabilities or special medical needs are particularly vulnerable in cold weather. Extra precautions should be taken to ensure that they do not get too cold when outside, ”said Dr. Muntu Davis, Los Angeles County Health Officer, in a press release.

People experiencing homelessness are also at risk, with 28 people in LA County having died of hypothermia and other underlying conditions since 2016, according to LA Taco.

To avoid the harmful effects of cold weather, such as hypothermia and frostbite, Antelope Valley residents are encouraged to wear layers of clothing while outdoors, as well as hats, scarves, gloves and socks to protect skin that would otherwise be exposed. .

If residents find someone who appears to be suffering from hypothermia or frostbite, they should be gently warmed up while seeking immediate medical attention.

“There are places where people can go to stay warm, such as shelters or other public facilities,” Davis said.

For those who do not have a safe, warm place to shelter from the cold, the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority has made its Winter Shelter Program available. Visit lahsa.org or call 211 to access the LA County Information Line.

Pets should also be brought indoors overnight, added public health.

Those who have a warm indoor place to go should also be careful.

“We also want to remind people not to use stoves, grills or ovens to heat their homes because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning,” Davis said.

In addition to installing a carbon monoxide detector in your home, residents should heat indoor areas with natural gas or electric heaters or fireplaces.

If a generator is needed, it should be placed at least 10 feet away from all doors and windows so that its exhaust gas does not enter.

Signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include shortness of breath, headaches, muscle and joint pain and nausea, and anyone thought to suffer from carbon monoxide exposure should be brought to fresh air and an emergency room for immediate treatment.

“People can have irreversible brain damage or even die before anyone realizes there is a problem,” according to Mayo Clinic.

.

Give a Comment