Jon Cherry / Getty Images
The Democratic-led Committee of Inquiry investigating the January 6 attack on the US capital has issued a new round of subpoenas to extreme right-wing extremist groups, including Proud boys and Edsvogtere.
In total, the panel issued five new subpoenas, which include records and testimony requirements. Subpoenas were also issued regarding Henry “Enrique” Tarrio, who was chairman of the proud boys, Elmer Stewart Rhodes, President of Oath Keepers, and Robert Patrick Lewis, President of the 1st Amendment Praetorian, which provided security at several conventions until January 6th.
For his part, Tarrio, who was recently revealed to be an FBI informant, is serving five months in prison for burning a Black Live’s Matter banner and bringing high-capacity firearms magazines to Washington, DC
“The select committee is seeking information from individuals and organizations allegedly involved in the planning of the attack, with the violent mob that stormed the Capitol on January 6, or with efforts to overthrow the results of the election.” The chairman of the committee, rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., Said in a statement. “We believe that the individuals and organizations we convened today have relevant information on how the violence erupted on the Capitol and the preparations leading up to this violent attack.”
Prior to these new testimonies and documents, the committee issued more than three dozen subpoenas to former Trump officials, allies and organizers of the January 6 rally. The recent subpoenas issued on Monday included controversial figures Roger Stone and Alex Jones.
“The select committee is moving quickly to reveal the facts of what happened that day, and we expect all witnesses to abide by the law and cooperate so we can get answers from the American people,” Thompson said.
So far, the committee has met with about 200 unnamed witnesses voluntarily, received 25,000 pages of documents and received more than 200 tips through a hotline.