Queen tells the family that she is ‘far better’ and okay to spend Christmas in Sandringham

Exclusive:

The Queen, 95, has told her family that she is “far better” and is ready to host her traditional Christmas lunch in Sandringham – the first since Prince Philip died

The queen
The Queen has told her family that she is “far better” and good enough to host Christmas

The Queen has told her family that she is healthy enough to host Christmas in Sandringham after recovering from a back sprain.

The 95-year-old monarch assured them that she is “far better” and “looking forward” to the traditional festive get-together on her Norfolk estate.

Concerns about the Queen’s health have increased in recent weeks after she withdrew from a number of major engagements.

Her Majesty has rested under the order of doctors at Windsor Castle after being injured almost two weeks ago and last month spent a night in hospital for an unconfirmed condition.

Christmas is gaining special significance this year, after losing her husband of 73 years, Prince Philip, in April.

Do you enjoy reading about the royal family? Sign up for all the best royal news from Mirror here







Guests at the Queen’s Christmas Lunch will include Prince William, Kate and their children
(

Picture:

KENSINGTON PALACE / AFP via Getty)

It is understood that the Queen will travel to Sandringham on or around Friday 17 December.

Royal sources said it was likely she would take a 50-minute helicopter journey from Windsor, but insisted that a traditional train journey from London to Kings Lynn had not yet been ruled out.

Christmas guests will include Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their three children.







It will be the Queen’s first Christmas without Philip, while Prince Harry and Meghan are “unlikely” to fly over from the United States
(

Picture:

AFP via Getty Images)

Her youngest son Prince Edward, his wife Sophie and their children, Louise and James have also confirmed their participation.

Princess Anne and her children Peter Phillips and Zara Tindall are expected to attend.

And the invitation has been extended to Princesses Beatrice, her husband Edo Mapelli Mozzi and their newborn daughter Sienna, and to Princess Eugenie, her husband Jack Brooksbank and their little son August.







The Queen has had to cancel several public appearances in recent weeks due to ill health
(

Picture:

ON)

Royal sources suggested that scandal-stricken Prince Andrew “naturally” had been invited, while Prince Harry and his wife Meghan were “highly unlikely” to fly over from California with their two children despite being invited.

The Queen spent last Christmas alone with the Duke of Edinburgh at Windsor Castle due to the coronavirus pandemic.

A source said: “The Queen has told everyone that she is feeling much better lately and is very much looking forward to welcoming them to Christmas.







A member of the Royal Collection Trust staff puts the finishing touches on a Christmas tree at Windsor Castle
(

Picture:

ON)

“Like many other families, this will be the first time Her Majesty can be reunited with her extended family after being kept apart for so long due to the coronavirus pandemic.”

Royal fans will be hoping to return to the property on Christmas Day to catch a glimpse of the royals as they walk en masse to and from St Mary Magdalene, a 16th-century church on the Sandringham estate.

The queen is said to be “determined” to go to church with the rest of the family, but will, as in previous years, be driven to church to save her from walking the short distance.

After a period away from public duties, the Queen has this week kept a regular diary from Windsor Castle.

Yesterday, she conducted two virtual audiences via video link, welcoming the High Commissioner for Nigeria, Sarafa Tunji Isola, and then Malaysia’s Ambassador, Zakri Jaafar.

Buckingham Palace said the Christmas plans were “a private affair”.

Read more

Read more

.

Give a Comment