Southern Oregon University
Position Number: F00171
The Oregon Center for the Arts (OCA) at Southern Oregon University (SOU) seeks applications for a full-time tenure track Assistant Professor of Art position with an emphasis in Painting/Drawing.
We are looking for a visionary individual who will serve a collaborative role in a unique Creative Arts Department that is home to art and art history, digital media, and creative writing. Applicants should have an MFA (or equivalent terminal degree) and a professional practice and teaching portfolio that combines Painting/Drawing with critical studies in the arts (visual culture, contemporary arts and culture, critical making) and emerging practices.
Application materials should demonstrate proficiency with a broad range of 2D concepts, techniques, and materials. The craft of observation, two dimensional representation, and creative mark-making remain essential and foundational to studio artists and digital makers alike. Additionally, we envision that this position will be in dialogue with digital media and potentially engage with printmaking as both a digital and analog process. Extra consideration for applicants with backgrounds in printmaking and interdisciplinary artmaking.
Teaching responsibilities for this position may include (but are not limited to) introductory and advanced studio courses in drawing and painting, senior capstone courses, BFA thesis and critique, and other related courses based on the candidate’s interests and departmental needs.
Candidates should have an MFA, PhD, or other terminal degree in an appropriate field, at least one year of experience teaching in higher education, and a promising record of distinguished scholarship and/or creative work, exhibition, research and/or professional project development appropriate to be appointed at the assistant professor level.
As a tenure-track faculty member, the new hire will be expected to engage in ongoing professional development through a balance of teaching, service, and scholarship. SOU offers excellent comprehensive health and retirement benefits. The start date is September 16, 2022, and the position is tenure-eligible and will be open until filled with priority deadline of January 15, 2022.
About the Oregon Center for the Arts: The Oregon Center for the Arts at Southern Oregon University educates artist-practitioners and scholars in a diverse environment that cultivates SOU’s values of creativity and collaboration, equity, diversity, and inclusion, and the well-being and success of all learners. OCA is an academic division of Southern Oregon University and also serves as a community arts presenter, partner, and producer. The structural components comprise its academic programs in Music, Theater, Studio Art, Emerging Media and Digital Art, and Creative Writing, the Schneider Museum of Art, institutional-based Allied Arts Programs, and Community Arts Partnerships. Go to OCA.sou.edu for more information. Situated in the beautiful and vibrant Rogue Valley surrounded by majestic mountains, the Oregon Center for the Arts is a creative catalyst for our diverse combination of students, educators, and artists, who come to us from around the world to infuse the southern Oregon cultural landscape with artistic excellence.
About the Creative Arts Department: The Creative Arts Department contains faculty and degree programs including Studio Art, Art History, Emerging Media and Digital Arts (EMDA), and Creative Writing. Within an interdisciplinary framework, the Creative Arts Department includes state-of-the-art facilities the following areas: Painting, Drawing, Printmaking, Ceramics, Sculpture, Photography, Digital Art, and Interdisciplinary Arts and Technology.
- MFA, PhD, or other terminal degree in an appropriate field.
- Applicants should have at least one year of experience teaching in higher education
- The successful candidate will have a promising record of distinguished scholarship and/or creative work, exhibition, research and/or professional project development appropriate to be appointed at the assistant professor level.
- Demonstration of effective teaching and mentorship
- Ability to work collaboratively and cordially with fellow faculty, students, and guest artists
- Desire, ability, and patience to effectively teach and train novice students
- Show promise in attracting and retaining students interested in art and expansive practices
- Have demonstrated ability to successfully nurture interested students from a diverse student population
- Can demonstrate potential for connecting students with a variety of post-degree options
- Have professional experience and can expand/deepen SOUs connections with creative industries
- Have experience in printmaking and/or interdisciplinary artmaking.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Each applicant is required to provide (as attachments to the online application) the following supplemental documents: (1) letter providing some detail of the applicants qualifications and interest in the position; (2) current resume/CV; (3) portfolio of representative work (in PDF format no greater than 20mb) including links to an online portfolio; (4) artist statement; (5) portfolio of representative student work (in PDF format no greater than 20mb); and (6) names and contact information for three professional references.
If you are unable to attach the supplemental materials to the online application please contact Human Resources for assistance. For inquiries and additional information, please contact: Human Resource Services via email at email@example.com or by phone at (541)552-8553.
To view SOUs offers very generous benefits and pension programs available to eligible positions, please visit: https://inside.sou.edu/assets/hrs/Benefits/2021_Employee_Benefits_Overview.pdf
Our benefits package is an important complement to the offered salary and our Total Compensation Calculator, https://inside.sou.edu/hrs/comp-calc.html, demonstrates our value and commitment to our employees.
- Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
- Must be able to work additional hours and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
- Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment background check.
- Under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA):
- Position classification defined as “exempt” are not subject overtime
- The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the Oregon Revised Statues and is required to comply with the requirements set forth by the Oregon department of Human Services.
Notice to Prospective Employees
Section 485 of the Higher Education Act, and The Federal Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act of 1990 (now referred to as the “Clery Act”),requires that prospective employees be notified of the availability of SOUs Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. The report provides the annual statistics and campus policies for the reporting of and responding to campus crimes and fires; access to campus facilities; conduct code and campus policies on use, possession and sale of drugs/alcohol; and educational/information programs to inform the campus community about campus security procedures and crime prevention.
An electronic copy of the Annual Security Report (ASR)can be accessed at the following link:
https://inside.sou.edu/assets/security/AnnualCrimeReportFinal.pdf. A physical copy of the ASR is available at no charge upon request. To request a copy please visit the Campus Public Safety Office at 382 Wightman Street, Ashland OR 97520. For more information call 541-552-6258, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applicants must apply online at https://jobs.sou.edu/postings/9481.
Southern Oregon University is a welcoming community committed to inclusive excellence and the celebration of diversity. Without diversity, our educational process is diminished. Working together in support of our commitment to diversity, we strengthen and enrich our role as learners, educators and members of a tightly connected global community. We encourage those who share in our commitment to diversity, to join our community and we expect all our employees to demonstrate an ability and desire to create an inclusive campus community.