(The Hill) – Pfizer and BioNTech are reportedly set to seek approval for booster shots of their COVID vaccine for 16- and 17-year-olds.
People familiar with the company’s plans told The Washington Post that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is expected to approve the company’s request for the additional shots soon.
Currently, Americans 18 years and older are eligible for booster shots six months after their second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two months after the single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
The possible extension of booster eligibility comes as concerns about the new omicron variant bracket.
On Monday, President Biden said the omicron “is a cause for concern, not a cause for panic,” and that lockdowns to address it are not necessary.
“On Thursday, I will present a detailed strategy outlining how we will fight COVID this winter, not with shutdowns or shutdowns, but with more widespread vaccinations, boosters, tests and more,” Biden said.
Last week, in a statement on the variant, Biden announced booster shots, urging those eligible to receive their additional doses.
“First, for those Americans who are fully vaccinated against severe COVID disease – thankfully for the vast majority of our adults – the best way to strengthen your protection is to get a booster shot as soon as you are eligible, ” he said. Friday.
No omicron cases have yet been confirmed in the US, though experts believe they will inevitably be.
The Hill has contacted Pfizer for a comment.