4th student dies of school shooting in Michigan

OXFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) – A fourth student, a 17-year-old boy, died Wednesday from wounds he sustained when another student opened fire on a high school in Michigan a day earlier, authorities said.

The other dead included a 16-year-old boy who died in a deputy patrol car on its way to a hospital. Eight people were injured, some seriously, including a 14-year-old girl who was placed in a ventilator after surgery.

Investigators are still trying to determine a motive for the shooting Tuesday at Oxford High School, which is located in a community of about 22,000 people about 30 miles (48 kilometers) north of Detroit, said Sheriff Michael Bouchard of Oakland County.

“The person who has the most insight and the motive does not speak,” he said at a news conference late Tuesday.

Deputies rushed to the school around lunchtime as more than 100 calls flooded 911 envoys with reports of a shooter. They arrested the student at once a few minutes after their arrival. He put his hands up as deputies approached, Bouchard said.

The boy’s father on Friday bought the 9mm Sig Sauer used in the shooting, Bouchard said. He did not know why the man bought the semi-automatic pistol, which his son had posted pictures of and practiced shooting, Bouchard said.

Authorities did not immediately release the boy’s name.

The four students killed were 16-year-old Tate Myre, 14-year-old Hana St. Juliana, 17-year-old Madisyn Baldwin and Justin Shilling, who died Wednesday.

Bouchard said Myre died in a patrol car when a deputy tried to get him to an emergency room.

A teacher who received a wound on the shoulder left the hospital, but seven students, ages 14 to 17, remained hospitalized overnight with gunshot wounds, he said.

The gun, which the boy was carrying, had seven more cartridges in it when he surrendered, Bouchard said.

Undersheriff Mike McCabe said the student’s parents advised their son not to talk to investigators. Police must seek permission from a teenager’s parents or guardian to talk to them, he added.

Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald said in a statement that her office expects to issue charges quickly and that an update will be given Wednesday.

Authorities were alerted to social media posts saying there had been threats of a shooting at a school with about 1,700 students, but Bouchard said they did not know about the rumors until after the attack.

He stressed how crucial it is that tips of this kind are sent to the authorities, while also warning against spreading rumors on social media before a full investigation.

McCabe also downplayed the significance of a situation in early November when a deer head was thrown from the school roof, which he said was “absolutely unrelated” to the shooting. The vandalism got school administrators to write two letters to parents on the school website, and said they responded to rumors of a threat to the school, but they had not found any.

Bouchard said the remand prisoner had no previous approach to his department and he was not aware of any disciplinary history at the school.

“It’s part of our investigation to determine what happened prior to this event and if any characters were missed, how were they missed and why,” he said.

Campus was shut down during the attack, with some children sheltered in locked classrooms. They were later taken to a nearby Meijer grocery store to be picked up by their parents.

The district said in a statement that all of its schools would be closed for the rest of the week.

Isabel Flores, a 15-year-old ninth-grader, told WJBK-TV that she and other students heard gunshots and saw another student bleeding from her face. They then ran from the area through the back of the school, she said.

Authorities said they were looking for the suspect’s cell phone, school video footage and social media postings for evidence of a possible motive.

School administrators had sent two letters to parents on the school’s website in November, saying they were responding to rumors of a threat to the school following a bizarre vandalism incident.

According to a November 4 letter written by principal Steve Wolf, someone threw a deer head into a courtyard from the school roof, painted several windows on the roof with red acrylic paint and used the same paint on concrete near the school building in the early days . morning hours. Without specifically referring to that incident, another post on November 12 assured “there has been no threat to our building or our students.”

Both the sheriff and the deputy sheriff stressed that Tuesday’s shooting was not related to the deer head or any previous investigation from their office.

“It was a different incident, a different student,” McCabe said.

A concerned parent, Robin Redding, said her son, Treshan Bryant, is a 12th grader at the school, but stayed home Tuesday. Redding said her son had heard threats that there could be a shooting.

“This could not just be random,” she said.

Bryant said he texted several younger cousins ​​in the morning and they said they did not want to go to school and he got a bad feeling. He asked his mother if he could perform his tasks online.

Bryant said he had heard vague threats “for a long time now” about plans for a shooting.

At a vigil Tuesday night at LakePoint Community Church, Leeann Dersa choked back tears as she hugged friends and neighbors. Dersa has lived in Oxford for almost all of his 73 years. Her grandchildren went to high school.

“Scared us all something terrible. It’s awful, ”Dersa said of the shooting.

Pastor Jesse Holt said the news of the shooting poured in for him and his wife, including texts from some of the 20 to 25 students who are among the congregation with 400 members.

“Some were very scared, hiding under their desks and writing to us, ‘We are safe, we are fine. We heard shots, but we are okay.’ They tried to reassure us, at least that’s how it felt, ”he said.


Give a Comment