Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning. Our world-renowned experiential approach empowers our students, faculty, alumni, and partners to create impact far beyond the confines of discipline, degree, and campus.
Our locations-in Boston; Charlotte, North Carolina; London; Portland, Maine; San Francisco; Seattle; Silicon Valley; Toronto; Vancouver; and the Massachusetts communities of Burlington and Nahant-are nodes in our growing global university system. Through this network, we expand opportunities for flexible, student-centered learning and collaborative, solutions-focused research.
Northeastern’s comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs- in a variety of on-campus and online formats-lead to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Among these, we offer more than 195 multi-discipline majors and degrees designed to prepare students for purposeful lives and careers.
About the Opportunity:
Information Technology Services is searching for an inquisitive, entrepreneurial, and relationship-minded individual to fill the role of Associate Vice President, Global IT Operations. With the expansion and growth of the university’s footprint of global network locations, coupled with the increasing reliance on digital tools for location agnostic, collaborative teaching, learning, research, and work across locations, there is an immediate need for a role within ITS focused specifically on global IT strategy, solutions, and support. We are looking for an expert to align digital transformation efforts across the global network. The successful candidate will lead with a passion for understanding the “people side” of business, who will help ITS and partner units develop and implement sustainable plans that digitally transform the workplace across all university locations and at scale. This role will develop and maintain close working relationships and facilitate strategic partnerships throughout the institution, with a particular focus on the university network locations and colleges, to strengthen the ability of the Office of the Vice President for IT and CIO, and IT at-large, to support the university and its mission.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about supporting the success of university units and community members, while possessing a deep understanding of the structure and operation of a world-class IT organization. They will:
- Solution Provider: Engage in a consultative manner to quickly understand, assess, and bring forward ITS supported solutions.
- Thought Partner: Properly understand the underlying business needs associated with all locations and units and support units in improving and maximizing their efforts.
- ITS Roadmap: Effectively and clearly communicate the ongoing and evolving digital strategy of the Office of the CIO.
- Digital Productivity Tools: Demonstrate a high degree of digital dexterity to model best, “digital-first” behavior in problem solving.
- Community Engagement: Consistently and proactively engage across all campus locations to ensure a strong connection to the Office of the CIO.
The Associate Vice President, Global IT Operations, reporting to the Vice President, Information Technology and CIO, will serve as ITS’s dedicated technology ambassador to and ombudsperson for the university’s network locations and colleges. They will work to ensure that the needs of all locations are heard and understood by ITS; establish, in partnership, a set of global campus standards that can be easily documented, shared, and implemented consistently and economically; provide solutions consulting to help community members at these locations achieve their goals with digital tools; and guide ITS’s and the university’s technology roadmap and investments with a global-first perspective. This role will coordinate with and help guide the planning, projects, and operations across all other areas of ITS and will serve as a member of the ITS leadership team, to ensure their important voice and perspective is top of mind among the other members of the leadership team.
Being on the “front line” of IT Services and the community, this individual will need to have strong collaboration, communication, and customer service skills to successfully partner with university leadership and colleagues at all levels. To ensure that essential services are provided to the university community, a flexible schedule is required. The individual may be required to work outside their regular working hours and on university holidays.
In-person visits to each network location will occur on a regular cadence to be determined, as well as possible occasional additional travel, may be required.
Thought Partner and Solutions Provider
- Consistently and proactively engage across all campus locations to ensure a strong connection to the Office of the CIO.
- Meet with unit leadership, IT partners, and end users to listen, observe, and understand their business and goals.
- Engage in consultative manner to quickly understand, assess, and bring forward ITS supported solutions.
- Connect IT service owners with customers to demo tools and other solutions to help them grasp how the solutions fit in to the work they do.
- Document needs and process.
- Meet with internal IT teams to understand services and guide planning and delivery of those services.
- Drive the ITS roadmap to effectively meet the university global aspirations.
- Effectively and clearly communicate the ongoing and evolving digital strategy of the Office of the CIO.
- Research tools and solutions based on university and unit needs.
- Keep up to date with the latest developments and thinking in IT strategy and delivery.
- Provide ongoing oversight to a new organization focused on supporting the Northeastern Global network of locations.
- Master’s degree in a technology related field
- Advanced proficiency with the Microsoft 365 suite of tools – specifically Microsoft Teams, Office 365, To Do, Forms, and Outlook.
- Expertise in higher education
- Expertise as a manager of people
- Expertise in consulting with end users and translating business needs to technical specifications.
- Experience working with other IT teams to scope out and design projects.
- Excited about solving problems and working through technical challenges.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Loves changes and welcomes variety and the flexibility to do things differently.
- The ability to set and achieve measurable goals for themself and others.
A criminal background check is required for this position.
This position is eligible to work from an alternate location.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University’s commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/879/cw/en-us/job/508620
Northeastern is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action, Title IX educational institution and employer. Minorities, women, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.