(CSM) is a two-time Aspen Award-winning institution (top 15% of Community Colleges) with academic programs in over 100 disciplines. CSM is
among America’s top 100 producers of Minority Associate Degrees in twenty categories, according to Diverse Issues in Higher Education.
CSM offers excellent health insurance benefits; State Retirement Pension plan; wellness programs; Code Green early closure Fridays in the
summer; college closure for spring break and several major holidays, including the week between Christmas and New Year; and for several days
in March for Spring Break. We are an innovative institution committed to student success and well known for our flexibility to meet student
and community needs.
The individual in this position is responsible for keeping the campus well maintained and cleaned to a high
standard. Duties include general building maintenance, cleaning and arranging classrooms for scheduled events, proper disposal of trash and
recycling, and operating machines and equipment.
The work schedule for this position is 40 hours per week, Monday through Thursday,
from 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Flexibility is required.
College of Southern Maryland conducts background checks in order to ensure
the safety and well-being of the College’s staff and students. The final candidate for this position will be subject to the following
background checks: Criminal History Check, Sex Offender Registry Check and Motor Vehicle Record Check.
This position is
open until filled. For best consideration, apply by 11:59 pm, EST on Friday, December 17, 2021. The College of Southern Maryland is an
Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Maintains assigned facilities as prescribed (includes: sweeping and mopping floors, dusting
common areas, cleaning furniture, toilet fixtures, basins, mirrors, lavatories, classrooms and offices). Empties trash cans and bins and
recycle paper receptors. Removes other designated trash.
- Replenishes dispensers needed (includes paper towels, toilet tissue, trash can
liners and hand soap).
- Performs major seasonal cleaning of carpets, classrooms, windows, exterior porches, stairs and handicap entrances.
Performs specialized cleaning of science and biology labs, locker room areas, and gym floor.
- Maintains supply closets stocked and in
- Provides quality control oversight for all of the work performed by the team.
- Provides on-the-job training and
technical guidance for all aspects related to operational responsibilities including proper use of equipment, cleaning chemicals, and ice
- Responsible for issuing equipment and supplies to team and reporting inventory shortages to supervisor.
college policies/procedures and reports infractions/performance problems to Facilities Maintenance and Building Services Supervisor.
primary responsibility for snow and ice removal operations. This includes road salt and ice melt application, operating small to medium
sized tractors to ¾ ton pick-up truck with plows and salt spreaders. Is required to work around the clock in 12 hour shifts until the
college is open.
- Assists with grounds maintenance as assigned, including wedding, trash pickup, litter container maintenance and
installing or replacing flowers and shrubs.
- May be required to be on campus to assist during emergency situations even when the college
is closed (e.g., school closing, inclement weather conditions, bomb threats, etc.)
- Assists in the set up and arrangement of facilities
for a wide variety of functions (e.g., meetings, conferences, seminars, picnics, banquets, graduation or other special
- Maintains regular use equipment, (includes dispensers, vacuum cleaners, brooms, mops and other equipment used for custodial
- Reports other maintenance requirements to the work order system.
- Assists the Operations and Maintenance staff as
- Supports the campus security staff through general observation in assigned cleaning areas or during special events. Ensures
doors are properly locked and facilities are unoccupied when closed.
- Assists Public Safety in the evacuation of buildings during
emergencies, such as hazardous weather, fire alarm activation and closure of the campus for any reason.
- Reports safety/security hazards
to the appropriate personnel for remedial action.
- Performs other related work as required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Two years experience in an institutional or commercial setting that has provided the knowledge
of procedures for proper use of equipment such as high and low speed buffers, automatic floor scrubbers, upholster extractor, carpet
extractor, vacuum cleaner, industrial wet/dry vacuum cleaner, as well as using industrial cleaning and germicidal agents.
- Ability to use
snow removal equipment.
- Ability to translate and use hazardous and toxic chemical Material and Safety Data Sheets.
- Maintain a valid
Maryland driver’s license and maintain insurability under the college vehicle liability insurance plan. Certified, or can successfully
complete a CPR/AED course and a stand alone first-aid course.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and give direction to others, and associated
- Ability to lift 75 pounds.
We especially seek individuals who value & support workforce diversity in all its aspects. MD Relay Service for the deaf is 1-800-735-2258. Visit our web site at www.csmd.edu under CSM Employment to apply for all CSM vacancies.