Shooting at Oxford High School: Student kills 3, wounds 8 at Michigan school

OXFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. A 15-year-old second-grader opened fire at his high school in Michigan, killing three students, including a 16-year-old boy who died in a deputy patrol car on his way to a hospital, authorities said.

Eight other people were injured, some critically, including a 14-year-old girl who was put in a ventilator after surgery. Investigators are still trying to determine a motive for the shooting Tuesday at Oxford High School, which is located in a community of about 22,000 people about 30 miles (48 kilometers) north of Detroit, said Sheriff Michael Bouchard of Oakland County.

“The person who has the most insight and the motive does not speak,” he said at a news conference late Tuesday.

Deputies rushed to the school around lunchtime as more than 100 calls flooded 911 envoys with reports of a shooter. They arrested the student at once a few minutes after their arrival. He put his hands up as deputies approached, Bouchard said.

The boy’s father on Friday bought the 9mm Sig Sauer used in the shooting, Bouchard said. He did not know why the man bought the gun, which his son had posted pictures of and practiced shooting, Bouchard said.

Authorities did not immediately release the boy’s name.

The three students killed were 16-year-old Tate Myre, 14-year-old Hana St. Juliana and 17-year-old Madisyn Baldwin. Bouchard said Myre died in a patrol car when a deputy tried to get him to an emergency room.

A teacher who received a wound on the shoulder has left the hospital, but seven students aged 14 to 17 remained hospitalized overnight with gunshot wounds, he said.

The gun, which the boy was carrying, had seven more cartridges in it when he surrendered, Bouchard said.

Undersheriff Mike McCabe said the student’s parents advised their son not to talk to investigators. Police must seek permission from a teenager’s parents or guardian to talk to them, he added.

Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald said in a statement that her office expects to issue charges soon and that an update will be given Wednesday.

Authorities were alerted to social media posts saying there had been threats of a shooting at a school with about 1,700 students, but Bouchard said they did not know about the rumors until after the attack.

He stressed how crucial it is that tips of this kind are sent to the authorities, while also warning against spreading rumors on social media before a full investigation.

McCabe also downplayed the significance of a situation in early November in which a deer head was thrown down from the school roof, which he said was “absolutely unrelated” to the shooting. The vandalism prompted school administrators to send two letters to parents on the school’s website, saying they were responding to rumors of a threat to the school, but they had not found any.

Bouchard said the remand prisoner had no previous approach to his department and he was not aware of any disciplinary history at the school.

“It’s part of our investigation to determine what happened prior to this event and if any characters were missed, how were they missed and why,” he said.

Campus was shut down during the attack, with some children sheltered in locked classrooms. They were later taken to a nearby Meijer grocery store to be picked up by their parents.

The district said in a statement that all of its schools would be closed for the rest of the week.

Isabel Flores, a 15-year-old ninth-grader, told WJBK-TV that she and other students heard gunshots and saw another student bleeding from her face. They then ran from the area through the back of the school, she said.

A concerned parent, Robin Redding, said her son, Treshan Bryant, is a 12th grader at the school, but stayed home Tuesday. Redding said her son had heard threats that there could be a shooting.

“This could not just be random,” she said.

Bryant said he texted several younger cousins ​​in the morning and they said they did not want to go to school and he got a bad feeling. He asked his mother if he could perform his tasks online.

Bryant said he had heard vague threats “for a long time now” about plans for a shooting.

At a vigil Tuesday night at LakePoint Community Church, Leeann Dersa choked back tears as she hugged friends and neighbors. Dersa has lived in Oxford for almost all of his 73 years. Her grandchildren went to high school.

“Scared us all something awful. It’s awful,” Dersa said of the shooting.

Pastor Jesse Holt said the news of the shooting flowed in to him and his wife, including texts from some of the 20 to 25 students who are among the congregation of 400 members.

“Some were very scared, hiding under their desks and writing to us, ‘We are safe, we’re okay. We heard shots, but we’re okay.’ They tried to reassure us, that’s how it felt at least,” he said.

___

Associated Press writers Corey Williams of West Bloomfield, Michigan, David Aguilar of Oxford Township, Kathleen Foody of Chicago and Josh Boak of Rosemount, Minnesota, contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2021 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

.

Give a Comment