About the Opportunity
International Tutoring Center: ESL Tutor
The International Tutoring Center (ITC) at Northeastern University serves international students with their English language proficiency through individual, 50-minute tutorials. These tutorials address such areas as: writing (planning, organization, grammar, and citations); conversation; pronunciation; reading; TOEFL; presentation skills; and career prep. A qualified ESL tutor can address all of these areas generally but may specialize in one or more. See below for additional information.
- Help students improve their written communication by:
o Familiarizing them with American writing conventions
o Providing feedback on global concerns rather than simply proofreading
o Sharing resources and writing strategies
o Reviewing grammatical and usage rules as needed
- Provide conversation practice and identify students in need of specialized oral language instruction, including pronunciation, intonation, word and sentence stress, and fluency
- Help students improve their reading proficiency by sharing reading and vocabulary-building resources and strategies
- Prepare students for standardized tests, including the Test of English as a Foreign Language
- Prepare for tutorials by selecting materials and approaches suitable for students’ needs
- Lead tutorials that are student-centered, supportive, and consistent with ITC policies
- Keep thorough and organized reports of tutorials
- Contribute to ITC pedagogical materials and projects as needed
- Communicate reliably with ITC staff via email
- Attend monthly staff meetings
- At least two years experience teaching or tutoring English at the post-secondary level
- Experience working with second language learners and sensitivity to their distinct needs
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a related field (TESOL, linguistics, English, speech pathology, etc.)
- Strong written and oral English language skills; non-native English speakers are encouraged to apply
Preferred Qualifications Master’s degree or higher in a related field
Details $25 per hour. This is a temporary, non-benefits eligible position subject to renewal each semester. Tutors work a minimum of five hours and a maximum of 20 hours per week.
To Apply Please e-mail your resume and cover letter to Crissy McMartin-Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University’s commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Boston-MA-Main-Campus/ESL-Tutor_R100081jeid-c578e1e62437fe42aa9dcf4d91a7ad1c
Northeastern is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action, Title IX educational institution and employer. Minorities, women, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.