Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro says he may need surgery after hospitalization World news

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has said doctors are assessing whether he should undergo surgery after being admitted to hospital with stomach discomfort.

Sir. Bolsonaro said in a Twitter post that he had started to feel uncomfortable after lunch on Sunday and was admitted to the hospital in Sao Paulo at 6 p.m. 03.00 local time (06.00 in the UK) Monday.

He has been treated at the hospital several times since he was stabbed on the campaign track in 2018.

Brazilian presidential candidate Jair Bolsonaro reacts after being stabbed during a demonstration in Juiz de Fora, state of Minas Gerais, Brazil on September 6, 2018.
Picture:
Bolsonaro was stabbed during a campaign rally in 2018

After the latest hospitalization, the 66-year-old posted a picture of himself with his thumb up and said more tests will be done to see if he needs surgery.

The government said he was “well”.

Vila Nova Star, the hospital where the president is being treated, said in a statement that he had an intestinal obstruction and was in a stable condition.

Sir. Bolsonaro had been on holiday in southern Brazil.

A previous hospital stay took place in July when the president was also being treated for a bowel obstruction. Surgery was not necessary at that time.

His current treatment is being monitored by a team led by Dr. Antonio Luiz Macedo.

Dr. Macedo, who had operated on Mr Bolsonaro at the time of his stabbing in 2018, has been on holiday in the Bahamas, waiting for a flight back to Sao Paulo, according to Brazilian television network Globo.

Give a Comment