All three Godfather film will be released on 4K Ultra HD for the first time ever on March 22, 2022 to celebrate the first film’s 50th anniversary. The restoration has been overseen by the director Francis Ford Coppola, who said in a statement that the process of reviewing the films was “satisfactory.”
The moviesThe Godfather, The Godfather Part II and The Godfather Part III– was restored over three years in preparation for the 50th anniversary of the original release of the first film on March 24, 1972. Coppola also revealed that Mario Puzos The Godfather, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone—A re-cut version of the third film — will be thrown into the mix for good measure. In his own words:
“I’m very proud of The Godfather, which certainly defined the first third of my creative life. With this 50th anniversary tribute, I am especially proud Mario Puzos The Godfather, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone is included as it captures Mario and my original vision in the final finale of our epic trilogy. It is also gratifying to celebrate this milestone with Paramount along with the wonderful fans who have loved it for decades, younger generations who still find it relevant today, and those who want to discover it for the first time. ”
The last restoration was carried out under the supervision of “excellent film historian and curator Robert Harris“In 2007. This time, over 300 cartons of the film were examined, and 4,000 hours were spent on” repairing film stains, tears and other irregularities in the negatives. ” The commitment, he said Andrea Kalas, senior vice president, Paramount Archives, was to “honor the unique work of all filmmakers.”
The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Kit will include older comments from Coppola and access to digital copies of all three movies, as well as Coda. In addition to this box set, a 4K Ultra HD Limited Collector’s Edition will also be released in a deluxe package. The limited edition set includes a hardcover coffee table book with photographs as well as portrait art prints on archival paper.
Based on Mario Puzos novel, the first film focused on the patriarch of a criminal family in New York and the transformation of his gentle youngest son into a dreaded mafia boss. Generally considered one of the greatest films ever made, The Godfather is also a crucial text in the New Hollywood era of film production. It received nine Oscar nominations and was for some time the most lucrative film ever made.
New bonus content includes:
- Introduction to The Godfather by Francis Ford Coppola
- Full circle: Preserving The Godfather—Paramount Pictures archivists describe the incredible restoration process with archival footage showing the evolution of the film through various home entertainment incarnations, while image and sound technologies take quantum leaps through the decades.
- Capturing the Corleones: Through the Lens of Photographer Steve Schapiro-In this reflective and honest discussion, special photographer Steve Schapiro shares his unique perspective and beloved memories as a witness to the making of this landmark film. Comments on curated archive images constitute a fascinating, never before seen addition to the history of the production.
- The Godfather: Home movies– A selection of 8 mm home film footage recorded in 1971 provides a candid insight into the production of The Godfather. Recorded on site at the Norton family’s estate on Emerson Hill State Island, this is the first time it has been made available to the public.
- Restoration comparisons—Before and after highlights show comprehensive image quality improvements The Godfather.
Older bonus features will also be included. In addition, the film will have a limited cinema premiere in Dolby Vision from February 25, 2022, exclusively at AMC Theaters in the United States as well as in international territories around the world. You can see the artwork and see a new trailer for the restored film below:
She also reveals how ‘Darkness Falls’ played a big role in her first encounter with the filmmakers.
About the author