Fauci says 3-shot vaccine should be 'standard', warns against winter 'double-shot' | MCU Times

Fauci says 3-shot vaccine should be ‘standard’, warns against winter ‘double-shot’

The delta variant and declining vaccine immunity can cause problems.

With winter closed in and the number of cases of coronavirus creeping in again, warns Chief Medical Officer at the White House, Dr. Anthony Fauci, that the declining immunity of the vaccines combined with the highly transmissible delta variant will create a “double violation” that will affect “even the vaccinated.”

“The somewhat disturbing aspect of it is that if one keeps the level of the dynamics of the virus in society at a high level – it’s clearly the people who are most vulnerable are the unvaccinated – but when one has a virus as transmissible as delta, “In the context of declining immunity, this dynamic will have a negative impact on even the vaccinated people. So it’s a double whammy,” Fauci said in a pre-recorded interview broadcast at the 2021 STAT summit on Tuesday afternoon.

“You are going to see breakthrough infections, even more than we are now seeing among the vaccinated,” he added.

His gloomy prediction encounters a chorus of alarm bells already ringing about COVID’s renewed spread as more people walk in as the holiday approaches, heralding a season of family gatherings.

The national reported average for new cases each day has risen to more than 80,000 according to federal data – the highest in nearly a month. Forty states are currently showing high transmission, and the total number of admissions has increased for the first time in nearly 10 weeks.

Fighting an impending viral attack this winter depends on how many more sleeves are rolled up for more shots, Fauci said. It will not only be important to persuade the approximately 60 million “conflicting” people who have not yet received their first dose, but also “how well we are implementing a booster program,” he said.

Fauci added that booster doses of the COVID vaccine could become the standard for a “full” vaccination.

It comes as a growing list of states and local jurisdictions has moved ahead of federal regulators’ timeline and has chosen to approve the extension of booster shots to all adults at least six months after their second Pfizer or Moderna shot.

Although Pfizer formally asked the Food and Drug Administration to extend its booster approval last week, federal agencies currently only recommend the mRNA booster to people over the age of 65, have an underlying medical condition or have a high risk of exposure, at least six months after their second dose.

However, all Johnson & Johnson recipients over the age of 18 are eligible for a boost at least two months after receiving their first dose.

“I happen to think, as an immunologist and infectious disease person, that a third shot boost for an mRNA is likely – should be part of the actual standard cure where a booster is not a luxury; a booster is not an addition; and a booster is part of what the original cure should be – so when we look back on this, we will see that boosters are essential for an optimal vaccine regimen, “said Fauci.

ABC News’ Arielle Mitropoulos contributed to this report.

Follow us on Google News

Disclaimers for mcutimes.com

All the information on this website - https://mcutimes.com - is published in good faith and for general information purpose only. mcutimes.com does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability, and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (mcutimes.com), is strictly at your own risk. mcutimes.com will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.

Leave a Comment