Hillsborough: Liverpool fan becomes 97th victim of disaster 32 years after tragedy | UK News | MCUTimes

Hillsborough: Liverpool fan becomes 97th victim of disaster 32 years after tragedy | UK News

A Liverpool fan who has suffered life-changing injuries in the Hillsborough disaster has been confirmed as the 97th victim of the tragedy following his death this week.

In a statement, the family told Andrew Devine, 55, that he died on Tuesday, 32 years after he was seriously injured in the FA Cup semi-final on April 15, 1989.

The statement said: “It is with great sadness and a sense of enormous loss that we can confirm that Andrew Devine died yesterday at a premature age of 55 years.

“Our collective devastation is overwhelming, but so is the realization that we were blessed to have Andrew with us for 32 years since the Hillsborough tragedy.

“We welcome the conclusion of Coroners, Mr Andre Rebello, made today at the Liverpool Coroner’s Court that Andrew was killed illegally, making him the 97th death of the tragic events that took place on 15 April. 1989.

“In the intervening years, Andrew has been a much-loved son, brother and uncle. He has been supported by his family and a team of dedicated caregivers, all of whom devoted themselves to him.

“As always, our thoughts are with all those affected by Hillsborough.

“We want to ask that our privacy be respected at this sad time.”

Image:
Tribute to flowers at Anfield in December 2020 to remember victims of the 1989 Hillsborough disaster in Sheffield

In a separate statement, Liverpool FC said they were “deeply saddened” by his death.

A spokesman said: “A lifelong Liverpool supporter, Andrew continued to take part in matches at Anfield whenever possible despite suffering life – altering injuries at Hillsborough on 15 April 1989.

“That way, he defied expectations that he would not survive for six months after the tragedy.”

In 2016, a jury of investigators ruled 96 Liverpool fans had been illegally killed in the Hillsborough disaster.

Combat Commander David Duckenfield was cleared of gross negligent homicide at a new trial in November 2019 after the jury in his first trial was unable to reach a verdict.

(LR): Donald Denton, Alan Foster and Peter Metcalf
Image:
The lawsuit against (LR) Donald Denton, Alan Foster and Peter Metcalf collapsed earlier this year

Earlier this year, the trial of retired police officers Donald Denton and Alan Foster and former force adviser Peter Metcalf, who was accused of perverted the course of justice after the disaster, collapsed after a judge ruled there was no case to answer.

Disclaimers for mcutimes.com

All the information on this website - https://mcutimes.com - is published in good faith and for general information purpose only. mcutimes.com does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability, and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (mcutimes.com), is strictly at your own risk. mcutimes.com will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.

Leave a Comment