Ice Cube says Chris Tucker was not in the Friday sequels because he did not want to ‘smoke grass on camera’

Ice Cube closed the rumors that his Friday costar Chris Tucker did not repeat his role in the cult classic’s sequels due to low pay on Wednesday.

The 52-year-old rapper, who became an actor, claimed on Twitter that it was his 50-year-old costar status as a born-again Christian that made him turn down a chance to appear in Friday’s popular followers.

Ice Cube clarified Tucker’s reasons for not continuing with the franchise after previously explaining that another Friday actor, Faizon Love, had been offered a small industry-scale payment for the film due to its extremely small budget.

Clean it up: Ice Cube, 52, explained that his Friday player Chris Tucker, 50, did not appear in the cult classic's sequels from 1995 because he did not want to 'roar or smoke grass on camera anymore';  still from Friday

Clean it up: Ice Cube, 52, explained that his Friday player Chris Tucker, 50, did not appear in the cult classic’s sequels from 1995 because he did not want to ‘roar or smoke grass on camera anymore’; still from Friday

NWA rapper, born O’Shea Jackson, explained why Tucker did not return after a fan on Twitter expressed the widespread belief that Tucker did not return for the sequels due to inadequate salaries.

“We were ready to pay Chris Tucker $ 10-12 million to do next Friday, but he turned us down for religious reasons,” the songwriter explained. ‘He did not want to pour or smoke cannabis on camera anymore.’

Tucker’s comic relief position in the sequels Next Friday (2000) and Friday After Next (2002) was eventually occupied by comedian Mike Epps, though he played a different character.

In a November interview with All Urban Central, the Fifth Element actor explained that his faith was one of the reasons he chose not to return to the franchise.

‘Back then I had to tell you that one of the reasons I did not do the other was because of weeds,’ he explained.

Sets the record straight: Ice Cube also responded to a tweet speculating that Chris Tucker, who had played Smokey, had not appeared in the sequel for financial reasons

Sets the record straight: Ice Cube also responded to a tweet speculating that Chris Tucker, who had played Smokey, had not appeared in the sequel for financial reasons

Going forward: Tucker explained to All Urban Central in November that he did not like smoking weed and also wanted to focus on new projects instead of successors;  still from Friday

Going forward: Tucker explained to All Urban Central in November that he did not like smoking weed and also wanted to focus on new projects instead of successors; still from Friday

‘Because I said, man, that movie became a phenomenon. I do not want everyone to smoke cannabis – and I never really told people because I kind of forgot it, but that was one of the reasons I did not. Because I said, “I do not want to represent everyone who smokes cannabis.”

But Tucker also revealed that he preferred to focus on new projects in general rather than get stuck with successors.

He would, however, star in two sequels to his popular Jackie Chan collaboration Rush Hour, but they came up with impressive salaries as he earned $ 20 million for the second film and $ 25 million for the third.

Earlier Wednesday, Ice Cube defended itself over Friday’s production after people on social media reacted to actor Faizon Love, who said he only took a $ 2,500 payday for the first film.

Clarification: Ice Cube also defended Friday's production after people on social media reacted when Faizon Love, 53, said he took a $ 2,500 payday for the first film

Beginner Award: Love said his small payment for the film was only industry-scale;  seen in 2019 in Atlanta

Clarification: Ice Cube also defended Friday’s production after people on social media reacted when Faizon Love, 53, said he took a $ 2,500 payday for the first film

The rapper, who recently left a film with Jack Black due to his refusal to get the coronavirus vaccine, took to Twitter on Wednesday to note that the film had a limited budget and that was understood when the performers signed up for the film.

“I did not rob any f *** in body,” he wrote in response to a Twitter user’s remarks about a piece by the Atlanta Black Star summarizing Love’s appearance on the YouTube show Comedy Hype.

The Los Angeles native continued: ‘The 1995 Friday movie cost $ 2.3 million to make. Shot it in 20 days. Fazion worked 1 day, maybe 2. All the actors got paid scale to make the film. They could have simply said “No”, but they did not. So miss me with that s *** … ‘

In an interview with Comedy Hype earlier this month, Love, 53, said he was offered double-scale to repeat the role of Big Worm (which amounted to $ 5,000) to appear in the 2000 sequel next Friday. He said he turned down the offer to make the 2000 film The Replacements for a $ 100,000 payday instead.

Speaking out: Ice Cube reacted after a Twitter user accused him of 'robbing his own people' in response to a story about Love's payday for the first film

Speaking out: Ice Cube reacted after a Twitter user accused him of ‘robbing his own people’ in response to a story about Love’s payday for the first movie

Love told Comedy Hype he would work on a Friday sequel to lower pay on a general principle because of the positive impact the original film had on his career.

Love took to Instagram on Wednesday to clarify his position in the controversy, saying he considers the Ice Cube as both a ‘buddy’ and his ‘brother’ while sharing a selfie of the couple.

“I’m guessing it’s a slow news week, so let’s say what I got paid is a problem, it was the price of admission to a game,” he said. ‘I have no regrets.’

Love also thanked Ice Cube, DJ Pooh and Felix Gary Gray ‘for letting me be separated by such an iconic image’, adding: ‘I really have nothing but love for these brothers.’

No beef: Love took to Instagram on Wednesday to clarify his position on the controversy

No beef: Love took to Instagram on Wednesday to clarify his position on the controversy

.

Follow us on Google News

Disclaimers for mcutimes.com

All the information on this website - https://mcutimes.com - is published in good faith and for general information purpose only. mcutimes.com does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability, and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (mcutimes.com), is strictly at your own risk. mcutimes.com will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.

Give a Comment