The lawyer representing Kyle Rittenhouse said he could not use his own cell phone because he had received so many death threats.
He spoke to Insider from his wife’s phone, which has also been targeted by people who have made death threats, he said.
Rittenhouse was acquitted on Friday of all charges related to his shooting of three people during a protest last year in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
Mark Richards, Kyle Rittenhouse’s criminal defense attorney, told Insider that he has received so many death threats that he no longer uses his own cell phone.
Richards said he “can not count” the number of death threats he has received recently. “It’s too high,” he added.
The lawyer has since taken to using his wife’s mobile phone, which he used to talk to Insider, but added that her number has also been targeted by people who have made death threats.
Richards said: “I would love for things to change, for people to talk to each other without fighting, but unfortunately I do not see it changing for the time being.”
A jury on Friday acquitted Rittenhouse of all charges relating to the incident on August 25, 2020, in which he shot three people with an AR-15-style semi-automatic file, killed two and wounded the other, during protests against police brutality in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
Rittenhouse had been accused of shooting dead Joseph Rosenbaum and Anthony Huber and injuring Gaige Grosskreutz and was also charged with recklessly endangering two other men.
The protests in Kenosha followed caught-on-camera police shoot Jacob Blake on August 23, 2020.
Rittenhouse’s defense team, led by Richards, claimed the teen acted in self-defense during the incident and only fired his weapon because he thought he was under attack, as Insider previously reported.
The jury’s Friday verdict came after nearly 26 hours of deliberation over four days, which Insider reported.
First, Richards said he could “fluff” the threatening calls that began about three weeks ago. “But he continued, the intensity of those calls increased after Rittenhouse’s acquittal on Friday.
“When I left the courthouse yesterday and started answering my phone, the first three calls were death threats and I just stopped taking my phone,” Richards said.
“I review my emails, there are also threatening emails,” Richards added.
Read the original article regarding Insider
Disclaimers for mcutimes.com
All the information on this website – https://mcutimes.com – is published in good faith and for general information purposes only. mcutimes.com does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability, and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (mcutimes.com), is strictly at your own risk. mcutimes.com will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.