Lush Cosmetics to disable social media accounts to raise mental health awareness

Shoppers are waiting to enter a lush cosmetics store with a Christmas theme on the Black Friday weekend during the second wave of the coronavirus pandemic on November 28, 2020 in Berlin, Germany. (Photo by Sean Gallup / Getty Images)

(KTVX) – The popular UK-based cosmetics brand Lush announced on Monday that it will deactivate some of its social media accounts in an attempt to address mental health challenges that consumers face on a daily basis.

The company is taking a stand and will deactivate its Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and Snapchat accounts as of November 26 across all 48 countries in which it operates. Accounts will remain deactivated until the platforms intervene to provide a “safe environment for users.”

In a press release, the company explains that the serious effects of social media are barely recognized, and compares the situation to how climate change issues have been ignored for decades.

“Lush, known for being leaders rather than supporters, has decided to address these serious issues now and start changing his own practice instead of waiting until others notice that there is in fact a real problem, said the company.

This is not the first time that the cosmetics brand is leaving social media. The company previously tried to get out of social media back in 2019 with their UK channels. Lush accused FOMO (fear of missing out) and the brand’s compulsion to use social media as the reason for its failure on the previous attempt.

Lush’s decision to move away from Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and TikTok was strengthened by the latest information from whistleblowers who leaked data showing that Facebook is allegedly putting profits over people’s well-being as well as promoting division.

Last month, the results showed that Instagram promoted addiction and low self-esteem among teens.

Lush hopes that social media platforms will “introduce strong guidelines for best practice and hopes that international regulation will be enacted into law.”

“I have spent my entire life avoiding putting harmful ingredients in my products. There is now overwhelming evidence that we are being put at risk when we use social media, ”said Mark Constantine, OBE, co-founder, CEO and product inventor at Lush. “I’m not willing to expose my customers to this damage, so it’s time to take it out of the mix.”

The brand says they are investing in new ways to connect and build better communication channels elsewhere. Lush will still be active on Twitter and YouTube.

Follow us on Google News

Disclaimers for mcutimes.com

All the information on this website - https://mcutimes.com - is published in good faith and for general information purpose only. mcutimes.com does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability, and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (mcutimes.com), is strictly at your own risk. mcutimes.com will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.

Give a Comment