More people are injured after gunfire erupted at Atlanta airport, the TSA said

At least three people were injured in Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport after a passenger gun was fired Saturday afternoon, the Transportation Security Administration confirmed.

Atlanta police said a gun was fired near the airport’s main security checkpoint. Passengers were asked to evacuate the airport and all departing flights were temporarily stopped.

Later in the afternoon, airport officials said there was no active shooting threat and airport passengers and staff were safe.

Authorities said the passenger, whose gun went off, later identified as 42-year-old Kenny Wells and issued arrest warrants, ran from the airport.

Atlanta police are looking for 42-year-old Kenny Wells, who they say escaped from the airport after a weapon was fired at a checkpoint on November 20, 2021. (Atlanta Police Department)

The incident began when a TSA agent identified an item in a bag. At one point during the bag search, the weapon was fired, officials said.

Police had previously reported that around 2.15pm they had not received any reports of injuries.

But officials later said a person needed assistance from EMS after saying they fell into the airport atrium, which was not in the same area where the incident at the checkpoint took place. Two other people complained of shortness of breath, police said.


Videos on social media showed that frightened travelers apparently took cover near the security checkpoint before the official statement.

City officials reassured frightened travelers as police gave details of the investigation.

MARTA’s service to the airport stopped in the middle of police activity.

Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines announced that travel exemptions were granted to passengers who may have missed their flight due to the incident.

In a statement, Delta said, “Due to a security incident earlier Saturday at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, Delta has issued a travel waiver to assist customers who may be affected.”

Police continue to search for Wells, who is charged with carrying concealed weapons at a commercial airport, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, firing a firearm and reckless conduct.

Operations at Hartsfield-Jackson International Atlanta Airport have returned to normal.





Follow us on Google News

Disclaimers for

All the information on this website - - is published in good faith and for general information purpose only. does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability, and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (, is strictly at your own risk. will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.

Leave a Comment

open in app