Norway bow and arrow attack: Suspect converted to Islam and was suspected of radicalization | MCUTimes

Norway bow and arrow attack: Suspect converted to Islam and was suspected of radicalization

A 37-year-old Danish citizen who lived in Norway was arrested and charged with the attack in the town of Kongsberg, but the police have not stated what charges he faces.

“The police have previously been in contact with the man, partly as a result of previous concerns in connection with radicalization,” Sæverud told at a press conference.

However, the suspect had not appeared on their radar this year, Sæverud indicated and said that by 2021 the police had not received any reports of radicalization.

Four women and a man were killed in the attack. “We have some information about the five people who died. There are four women and one man, no one has been formally identified yet. It will take some time. They are all aged 50 to 70 years,” said Sæverud.

A timeline of events on Wednesday revealed that only 35 minutes passed between the first police reports of a man shooting with a bow and arrow and the arrest of the suspect.

The first call, which warned the police, came into the operations center at 18:12, Sæverud said. A patrol was immediately dispatched to the scene, followed by three more, he said. The first patrol on the spot only briefly spotted the perpetrator.

In the minutes that followed, messages came from the public that the suspect had been discovered in several places across Kongsberg, he said.

The suspect was arrested at 6.47pm when 22 police patrols had been deployed and more resources were on the way. Warning shots were fired at the time of the arrest, Sæverud said.

From what police now know, “it appears fairly clear that probably everyone was killed after police were in contact with the perpetrator for the first time,” he said.

The perpetrator is believed to have acted alone, police said.

The attack came on the threshold of a new government taking office after last month’s parliamentary elections had put the long-ruling Conservative party back.

Labor leader Jonas Gahr Store will take on the role of prime minister on Thursday. In a Facebook post, Store described the attack as a “cruel and brutal act.”

The country’s outgoing Prime Minister, Erna Solberg, described the development in Kongsberg as “cruel” and promised that “all necessary resources” were deployed during a press conference at a press conference late in the evening in the capital Oslo.

“The perpetrator has committed horrific acts against several people. It is a very dramatic situation that has hit the Kongsberg community hard and the events shook us all,” she said.

An arrow is left in a wall at the site where a man armed with a bow killed several people in Kongsberg.

King: Norway ‘stand with you’

King Harald of Norway expressed his sympathy on Thursday in a short message to the mayor of Kongsberg and said that “the rest of the nation stands with you.”

“We sympathize with the relatives and the injured in the grief and despair,” he said. “And we think of all those affected in Kongsberg who have experienced that their safe local environment suddenly became a dangerous place. It shakes us all when terrible things happen near us, when you least expect it, in the middle of everyday life. in the open street. “

The attack comes a little over a decade since Norway’s worst terrorist attack.

In July 2011, Norwegian right-wing extremist extremist Anders Behring Brevik killed 77 people, many of them teenagers, in a bomb attack and cannons. He was sentenced to 21 years in prison, the maximum possible sentence.

In August 2019, another man stormed an Oslo mosque armed with pistols before being overpowered. That year, the country’s intelligence service reported that right-wing extremism was rising globally, warning that the country was likely to be targeted in the near future.

CNN’s Vasco Cotovio, Seb Shukla and Lianne Kolirin contributed to this report.

Disclaimers for mcutimes.com

All the information on this website - https://mcutimes.com - is published in good faith and for general information purpose only. mcutimes.com does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability, and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (mcutimes.com), is strictly at your own risk. mcutimes.com will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.

Leave a Comment