Palo Alto police arrest suspect for vandalism threatening to shoot officers – CBS San Francisco

PALO ALTO (CBS SF) – Police in Palo Alto on Monday confirmed the recent arrest of a suspect for vandalism, who threatened to shoot officers during a pursuit and standoff, according to authorities.

The incident happened last Friday afternoon, according to a statement from police. The suspect ended up not being armed.

READ MORE: Yeezy Apparel reaches almost 1 million. USD settlement with Bay Area, California DAs over alleged shipping delays

Palo Alto Crime Crime Suspect Reece Logan Hauf (Palo Alto Police)

Officers received a call from security staff at the Stanford Shopping Center at 180 El Camino Real around 1:46 p.m. Friday, where they reported a man causing disruption by shouting at mall patrons, threatening passersby and spitting on store windows.

Arriving officers contacted the man, who was uncooperative but claimed he was waiting for a wheelchair so he could walk. The mall’s security told police that if the suspect did not leave the property, they would place him under the citizen’s arrest to disrupt the business.

Police said the suspect continued to run away into the parking lot. Officers followed from a distance and observed the suspect smashing the rear window of two unmanned vehicles in the parking lot with a metal water bottle.

READ MORE: Tesla shares slides after Elon Musk asks Twitter if he should sell

Now after pursuing the suspect for the aggravated vandalism he had committed, officers chased him to an outdoor area at the nearby Stanford Park Hotel at 100 El Camino Real in Menlo Park. During the pursuit, the suspect put his hand in his jacket pocket, claimed he had a gun and threatened several times to shoot and kill the officers.

The suspect climbed up to a balcony on the second floor while officers took cover and began an attempt to de-escalate the situation by talking to the suspect and attempting to negotiate a compatible arrest with a member of the Palo Alto Police Crisis Negotiation Team.

The suspect continued to reject officer commands, prompting them to deploy less lethal ammunition. They first tried to shoot peppercorns against the wall near him to see if the pepper spray would encourage him to leave the balcony. When that did not work, officers fired a less lethal projectile weapon at him, hitting him in the hip area.

The suspect then surrendered to the officers, who found out he had no weapon in his possession. The suspect, identified by police as 32-year-old Campbell resident Reece Logan Hauf, was transported to an area hospital for medical clearance prior to booking, which is standard procedure for suspects exposed to chemicals and / or hit with a deadly projectile.

The suspect had sustained a visible injury to his hip area, but was otherwise unharmed. No officers were injured. Police filed Hauf in the Santa Clara County Main Jail for two counts of crimes, vandalism, misdemeanor that prevented a business, and misdemeanor arrest.

MORE NEWS: Mill Valley man wanted on January 6 Capitol Riot who fled to Belarus can seek asylum there

Anyone with information about this incident should call our 24-hour dispatch center at (650) 329-2413. Anonymous tips can be emailed to or sent via text message or voicemail to (650) 383-8984.


Follow us on Google News

Disclaimers for

All the information on this website - - is published in good faith and for general information purpose only. does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability, and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (, is strictly at your own risk. will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.

Give a Comment