Police determine falls that killed mother, toddler at San Diego Stadium a homicide-suicide

San Diego police investigators have determined the death of a woman which fell from a third-floor stadium space last fall in Petco Park while holding her 2-year-old son a homicide-suicide, KTLA Sister station KSWB reported.

Investigators say they conducted dozens of interviews and reviewed background information and available video footage of the Sept. 25 incident that killed San Diego resident Raquel Wilkins, 40, and her son, Denzel Browning-Wilkins. It happened just before a Padres game against the Atlanta Braves.

The decision on their death was made in consultation with the San Diego County Medical Examiner, San Diego Police Lieutenant Andra Brown said in a press release, adding that the department will not comment further.

“The SDPD understands the public’s concern and interest in this tragedy that happened in public in a place where society is gathering,” Brown said. “We would like to thank all those who have provided information.”

Following the police statement, the Padres issued a statement saying, “In light of today’s statement from the San Diego Police Department, we wish to reiterate our deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of those involved in this tragedy.”

A memorial service will be unveiled on Monday, September 27, 2021 outside Petco Park at the site where a woman and a child fell to their deaths Saturday before a Padres baseball game. (KSWB)

On the day of the incident, San Diego police noted that the deaths of Wilkins and Browning-Wilkins “appeared to be suspicious.” San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria called them “terribly tragic,” and Padres’ statement noted that the club was “deeply saddened by the loss of life in Petco Park.”

A woman who witnessed it told KSWB that Wilkins seemed to lose balance after twice jumping up on a bench near the railing on the third level of the stadium.

“I remember saying ‘I can not believe she’s doing it again,'” the woman said. “And then she was gone.”

Days later, the family’s lawyer, Daniel Gilleon, told KSWB at de weplans to file a lawsuit for wrongful death. Gilleon also targeted Gloria at the time, criticizing the mayor for comments in which he said there were “unusual circumstances surrounding the case.” Gloria later apologized for insulting the family with her remarks.

Gilleon criticized the city’s actions in the wake of his clients’ deaths, naming the city “the primary culprit in the wrongful act of death.”

“Like any other property owner, they were obligated to keep people on their property safe,” Gilleon said. “Within hours of Raquel’s and Denzel’s death, the city’s mayor went to the press and blamed Raquel for it all. Four months later, the city’s police went to the media and said the mayor was right. But the city does not want to explain why it concluded, that a young mother would kill her only child at an event where witnesses said she was happy. “

He added: “To me, the city behaves like any other defendant in a lawsuit: Blame the victim, especially if they are unable to defend themselves.”

For those affected by the events of Sept. 25, police said the District Attorney’s Office Victim Assistance Program is available for crisis intervention, support and other resources by calling 619-531-4041.


Follow us on Google News

Disclaimers for mcutimes.com

All the information on this website – https://mcutimes.com – is published in good faith and for general information purposes only. mcutimes.com does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability, and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (mcutimes.com), is strictly at your own risk. mcutimes.com will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.

Give a Comment