Chef Belinda Smith-Sullivan joins the WGN Weekend Morning News to share her recipe for Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie, included in her new book “Southern Sugar”.
Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie (Server 8 to 10)
- 1 9-inch pie dough
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 5 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. bourbon
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 to 1.5 coarsely chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out the dough and place it in a 9-inch pie dish.
- Line the crust with parchment paper and weight with pie scales or beans.
- Bake in the oven for 6 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the pie crust from the oven and remove the pie scales and parchment. Allow to cool.
- In a medium to large bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, corn syrup, butter, vanilla, bourbon and salt.
- Stir in pecans and chocolate chips.
- Pour into pie crust and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until sides are firm but centered slightly shaky. Do not overcook.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Serve at room temperature or lightly heated.