OXFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) – A sheriff says the parents of a 15-year-old boy accused of a shooting that killed four fellow students at Oxford High School in Michigan had been summoned to school before the violence.
Sheriff Mike Bouchard would not discuss details of the behavior of school officials.
Bouchard’s comments Wednesday came after Oakland County prosecutor Karen McDonald announced charges against Ethan Crumbley.
Crumbley is charged with murder, attempted murder and terrorism that caused the death. It was not immediately known if he had a lawyer who could speak.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. The AP’s past history follows below.
OXFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) – A 15-year-old boy was charged Wednesday with murder, terrorism and other crimes for a shooting that killed four fellow students and injured others at a high school in Michigan.
Oakland County prosecutor Karen McDonald did not disclose a possible motive for Tuesday’s violence at Oxford High School and declined to comment as she was pressured about whether she believed the victims were specifically targeted. But she said the shooting was mediated, based in part on a “mountain of digital evidence” collected by police.
Ethan Crumbley is accused of firing a semi-automatic pistol at a school, about 50 miles north of Detroit. At least seven other people were injured.
Crumbley was charged with murder, attempted murder and terrorism that caused the death. It was not immediately known if he had a lawyer who could speak.
The shooting should be a wakeup call for new gun laws in a country that has become “insensitive to school shootings,” McDonald told reporters.
“We need to do better,” McDonald said, without offering specific changes. “How many times is this going to happen? How many times?”
The charges were announced a few hours after investigators reported that a fourth student was dead.
“What about all the kids who ran, screaming, hiding under desks? … They are victims too, and so are their families and society. The accusation of terrorism reflects that,” the prosecutor said.
Deputies rushed to the school around noon Tuesday and arrested Crumbley at once a few minutes after the shooting. His father bought the 9mm Sig Sauer pistol last week, according to the Oakland County Sheriff.
McDonald strongly suggested that more charges be brought.
“We are considering charges against both parents and we will make a decision quickly,” she said.
“Owning a gun means securing it properly and locking it and keeping the ammunition separate,” she said.
The four students killed were identified as 16-year-old Tate Myre, 14-year-old Hana St. Juliana, 17-year-old Madisyn Baldwin and 17-year-old Justin Shilling.
After the attack, authorities were told on social media posts about threats of a shooting at a school with about 1,700 students. The sheriff stressed how crucial it is that such tips be sent to the authorities, while warning against spreading rumors on social media before a full investigation.
Undersheriff Mike McCabe downplayed the significance of a situation in early November when a deer head was thrown down from the school roof, which he said was “absolutely unrelated” to the shooting. The incident prompted school administrators to send two letters to parents on the school’s website, saying they were responding to rumors of a threat to the school but that they had not found any.
Sheriff Mike Bouchard said Crumbley had no previous run-ins with his department and he was not aware of any disciplinary history at the school.
“It’s part of our investigation to determine what happened prior to this event and if any signs were missed, how were they missed and why,” he said.
Isabel Flores, a 15-year-old ninth-grader, told Detroit television station WJBK that she and other students heard gunshots and saw another student bleeding from her face. They then ran from the area through the back of the school, she said.
A concerned parent, Robin Redding, said her son, Treshan Bryant in 12th grade, stayed home Tuesday after hearing threats of a possible shooting.
“This could not just be random,” she said.
Bryant said he had heard vague threats “for a long time now” about plans for a shooting.
At a vigil Tuesday night at LakePoint Community Church, Leeann Dersa choked back tears as she hugged friends and neighbors. Dersa has lived in Oxford for almost all of his 73 years. Her grandchildren went to high school.
“Scared us all something terrible. It’s awful, ”Dersa said of the shooting.
Pastor Jesse Holt said the news of the shooting poured in for him and his wife, including texts from some of the 20 to 25 students who are among the congregation with 400 members.
“Some were very scared, hiding under their desks and writing to us, ‘We are safe, we are fine. We heard shots, but we are okay.’ They tried to reassure us, at least that’s how it felt, ”he said.
Associated Press reporters Ryan Kryska, Mike Householder and David Aguilar of Oxford Township, Michigan; Kathleen Foody in Chicago; and Josh Boak of Rosemount, Minnesota, contributed to this report. AP researcher Rhonda Shafner in New York also contributed.
Disclaimers for mcutimes.com
All the information on this website - https://mcutimes.com - is published in good faith and for general information purpose only. mcutimes.com does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability, and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (mcutimes.com), is strictly at your own risk. mcutimes.com will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.