“Her Majesty received General Sir Nicholas Carter at Windsor Castle today after relinquishing his appointment as Chief of Defense Staff,” according to Buckingham Palace on Wednesday.
Dressed in an orange, green and white floral dress, the 95-year-old monarch stood to greet the outgoing general in the Oak Room at Windsor Castle.
The queen warmly welcomed the leader of the armed forces as he entered the living room while one of her dogs ran curiously towards him. After the couple shook hands, the monarch said it was “pretty sad” that he withdrew when they started chatting.
The military audience took place three days after the palace revealed her remorse for having to miss the service at the Cenotaph in central London. Prince Charles, who turned 73 on Sunday, laid a wreath at the war memorial on behalf of the Queen, as in previous years.
The Prince of Wales is currently on a royal tour of Jordan with his wife Camilla – the couple’s first major overseas visit since the start of the pandemic. When asked by Sky News how his mother was feeling, Prince Charles replied: “She’s okay, thank you very much.
“When you reach 95, it’s not quite as easy as it used to be. It’s bad enough at 73!” he added as he joked about his own birthday.
The queen’s decision to withdraw from the service was reportedly unrelated to her doctor’s latest advice to rest, a royal source told CNN earlier.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Sunday voluntarily said the queen was “very well” when he saw her last week.
The monarch has been forced to skip a number of engagements in the last month. She completed her final personal engagement on 19 October and hosted a reception for business leaders in Windsor ahead of the COP26 climate conference in Glasgow. The next day, the sovereign abruptly canceled an impending trip to Northern Ireland and spent a night in hospital for what a spokesman at the time described as “preliminary investigations”.
Since then and by order of her doctor, the royal house has reduced her diary considerably. She has mostly rested in Windsor and has taken on a few easy tasks via video link and phone.
However, she managed to leave for a long-planned weekend, a royal source told CNN earlier. Her mini-break had been in the diary for some time, with doctors getting her ready to go to Sandringham by helicopter, according to the newspaper The Mirror. She was understood to be traveling to her country estate to make preparations to welcome her family over Christmas, the report added.
“Going forward, especially as we head into the winter with Covid, we’ll see the Queen make more zoom calls, fewer face-to-face meetings,” CNN historian and royal expert Kate Williams said earlier. “But I think as soon as winter is over, she’s going to be eager to get back on her feet, out there and meet people. It’s just whether the doctors will agree.”
CNN has launched Royal News, a new weekly broadcast that gives you an insight into the royal family, what they do in public and what is happening behind the walls of the palace. sign up here.
Disclaimers for mcutimes.com
All the information on this website - https://mcutimes.com - is published in good faith and for general information purpose only. mcutimes.com does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability, and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (mcutimes.com), is strictly at your own risk. mcutimes.com will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.